Website form now is the most effective tool for connection between users and website owners, no matter what it is — blog, online store, or business site. The forms proved their communication efficiency during the years, from the first cumbersome examples with wretched UX/UI to sleek modern designs.
The form is a convenient way to gather information about the website visitors and, at the same time, not to spoil their experience. This way can skyrocket the website’s conversion to some extent, so you need the most attractive, but simultaneously, the simplest form to implement and make sure that it is user-friendly enough.
In this article, we will talk about the best free WordPress form plugins that might simplify creating forms and contribute to your website’s growth.
JetFormBuilder — One of the Best Free WordPress Form Plugins
JetFormBuilder by Crocoblock is a full-featured plugin for building, editing, and customizing any contact form you can even imagine. It allows you to build an utterly operative form within one interface, having a broad set of tools for designing any type of form you might need.
Using a convenient drag-n-drop builder, you can build a form effortlessly with various blocks you can arrange accordingly. JetFormBuilder works flawlessly with Gutenberg.
You can also install free JetStyleManager and style your form so that it is not inferior to Elementor in terms of visuals.
As a free WordPress form plugin, JetFormBuilder offers an impressive selection of features:
- Various field types are constantly replenished (e.g., Checkboxes, Text, Text area, Heading, Repeater, Form break, etc.). Mixing it gives you virtually limitless possibilities.
- Post submit actions — you can select from 11 actions performed after the user submits the form (e.g., Send Email, Update User, Insert/Update Post, etc.).
- Conditional logic to set the visibility conditions for any form field.
- Multi-step forms — using the Form Break block, you can create a form consisting of several stages and assign it a Progress Bar.
- The Calculated content feature allows building forms with the content that needs to be calculated. JetFormBuilder supports both basic and complex calculations.
- Repeater field — with its help, you can insert or delete a repeatable group of items. It is very convenient when you need to enter the same items manually several times on your website.
- The Hidden fields feature gives a possibility to hide form fields on the frontend.
The free version of JetFormBuilder is quite advanced. Still, if you want to add more third-party integrations and unique features, you can buy PRO Addons: pay $39 per year for one website or $79 per year for unlimited websites.
Also, the PRO Addons are free for All-Inclusive Crocoblock subscribers.
Pros and Cons
- Allows custom field styles. With the help of JetStyleManager, you can style the form in Gutenberg.
- Payment methods integration. JetFormBuilder accepts all types of payments securely (PayPal, Stripe, WooCommerce, etc.).
- User-friendly visual builder. You can create forms and see how they will look on the frontend in real-time.
- PRO addons expand the functionality significantly.
- No Elementor specific widgets.
- The PRO addons can’t be purchased separately.
Contact Form by WPForms
Contact Form builder, created by WPForms, is often considered one of the best free WordPress form plugins for its user-friendliness, variable functionality, and millions of active installs. So, no wonder why it is trendy in the WordPress community.
Contact Form by WPForms has two versions:
- Free version — WPForms Lite (available in the WordPress repository)
- Paid version — WPForms Pro (available on the developer’s website)
You purchase a simple contact form in the free version, a mailing subscription form, and a suggestion form. And these are the fundamentals that can suit any website and, probably, cover all the needs.
The Pro version provides more advanced features, such as PayPal payment forms, front-end post submission forms, conditional logic, multi-step forms, login and registration forms, etc.
Both versions have the same friendly interface with the drag-n-drop visual builder in which you create forms.
WPForms offers excellent and convenient pre-built templates for you to save time and use the previously arranged form. You can make any changes you require and design a contact form in literally 2 minutes.
In the Lite version, you can easily change the integration with the Constant Contact distribution service on the Marketing tab, create a mailing subscription form, or another form that will transfer visitor data to the selected Constant Contact service list.
The prices for the Pro version start from $39.50 per year to use on one website.
Pros and Cons
- User-friendly and straightforward visual builder and pre-designed templates. Even the newbies can deal with this form builder plugin for the first time.
- Variety of form types. The Lite version gives the possibility to create the essential kinds of forms.
- Effective spam protection. WPForms provides an efficient and straightforward Captcha and Google reCAPTCHA solution that does not require extreme action from the visitor.
- SEO-optimized. WPForms positions itself as one of the most SEO-friendly contact form plugins so that you will avoid the worries about conversion.
- The Pro version is a bit overpriced. Depending on the functionality you need, you can find a free analog.
- The Lite version is limited. Despite some benefits WPForms provides, the free version is still limited — you can create only three types of forms for free.
- You can’t purchase the addons separately. WPForms has no function to buy the only extension you need, as you can do with Ninja Forms.
The plugin has more than 4 million installations with 9000+ five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.9 stars. Most visitors say it is a simple and convenient plugin, easy to use and clean; someone calls it an excellent plugin for the basics.
Ninja Forms Contact Form
Starting from its first release, which occurred in 2011, developers from Saturday Drive constantly accumulated the necessary functions. They improved the user interface, making it a highly functional free WordPress form plugin.
Ninja Forms is one of the most popular plugins for creating and managing forms in WordPress, with the following features:
- a pleasant and accessible visual interface;
- about 30 types of different fields;
- convenient drag-n-drop builder;
- allows saving and managing a list of sent data;
- export/import forms and selected fields;
- spam protection;
- send without reload (AJAX), etc.
Builder Pack Pro offers an additional premium functionality: layouts and styles, multi-stage forms, conditional logic, and uploading files.
On the Form fields tab, you can choose from four templates: blank form, contact, request form, and registration for the event. Very accessible and flexible constructor. The simplest form was created in just a couple of minutes.
On the Emails and Actions tab, you can set up a successful send message, an admin email notification and save the sent data.
On the Advanced tab, you can set restrictions such as disallowing duplicate values for fields, limiting the number of form submissions, or add and perform simple calculations for fields. Calculations support any field with digital input or another type of field with Calc Value support.
Ninja Forms come with a small set of own styles and mostly match the theme using its design rules. You can specify the container and element class for additional manual stylization using CSS.
The prices for Ninja Forms Pro start from $49.50 per year for one website (personal use) and $99.50 per year for 20 websites (business solution).
Pros and Cons
- The core plugin provides basic functionality for free. If you want to enhance this version with addons, you will have to buy the Pro version.
- User-friendliness and ease of use. Drag-n-drop builder simplifies the form building process and shows how the form will look on the frontend instantly.
- Flexible solution. To make your forms more advanced, you won’t need to buy a costly bundle. You can choose some addons and purchase them separately.
- The free version lacks features. For instance, you will not be able to create dynamic forms, so there will be a need to buy a conditional logic addon.
- The Pro version is pricey. In case you need growth and expanding functionality, Ninja Forms become more expensive than their competitors.
The plugin has more than 1 million installations with about 900 five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.4 stars. Most visitors say it is the best plugin with perfect forms and an excellent editor; many users also underline the outstanding support or claim that it is easy to use with some powerful features.
Formidable Form Builder
Formidable Forms, developed by the Formidable Team, allows you to create and configure WordPress forms quickly and easily using the simple drag-and-drop interface and the visual form styler. Built-in spam protection and custom HTML and CSS make this form plugin a powerful option.
Formidable Forms plugin makes it very easy to create full-featured contact forms in minutes without code. Fields can be added with a single click, and the drag-n-drop builder allows you to change the order quickly. Form records are automatically saved and can be exported to a CSV file. Custom CSS and multiple layout options mean you can customize your forms to suit your site.
In addition, with Formidable Forms Lite (free version), you get a form autoresponder feature that you can set up accordingly and enter the most suitable field placeholders in your form. Besides, you may be sure that all the forms you build with Formidable Form builder are mobile-friendly. Also, the forms are WCAG/A11Y compliant.
Formidable Forms allow unlimited form submissions and give the possibility to import/export forms and styles. Besides, you can also save all the entries to the database and view them in the backend after.
The Pro version (from $39.50) adds more field types and professional functions, such as field calculations, conditional logic, and chart data mapping.
Pros and Cons
- Convenient drag-n-drop form builder
- Excellent combination of the feature set
- Pre-designed templates
- Endless possibilities for the complex forms
- It can be unstable when the updates are available
- Difficult to integrate with third-party addons (like Zapier)
- No advanced conditional field values
The plugin has more than 300K installations with about 700 five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.7 stars. The users state that it is a solid form plugin, a complete and well-working solution. More reviews are available on WordPress.org.
Forminator is a free WordPress form builder from WPMU DEV. Forminator offers integration with Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor, Trello, Slack, and many other third-party solutions. It also supports Stripe and PayPal payments. Forminator is a free plugin, but its feature list is really like a premium plugin.
Forminator provides a drag-and-drop designer where you can create your forms. It doesn’t give a live visual preview, but it is still relatively easy to use. The plugin allows the creation of 3 form types: standard forms, polls, quizzes.
For standard forms, you have much more flexibility than with a regular plugin. For example, you can create:
- Payment forms via Stripe or PayPal.
- External forms of sending messages that add content to any type of message.
- Subscription forms with multiple email marketing integrations.
Other useful free features:
- Controls the input/submission of a form in the toolbar, including the ability to disable or restrict it to match GDPR.
- Conditional logic.
- Custom email notification forms.
- Spam protection with honeypot fields, or you may set that only authorized users can submit a form. You can also connect to the reCAPTCHA.
Forminator, with all its features, does not look like a free plugin. You get free access to features that would cost you more than $100 in almost any other form builder, and it’s a nice advantage.
Forminator Pro provides more third-party integrations, allows creating multi-step forms, offers dynamic prefilling and other features. It costs $60 per year for one website.
Pros and Cons
- Plugin is compatible with Gutenberg
- Meet GDPR requirements
- Provides styling options
- Free and Pro version has almost the same features
- Pro subscription is pricey and unreasonable
- Has too much extra CSS for forms
- It doesn’t allow to embed video in polls
The plugin has more than 100K installations with 500+ five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.8 stars. For instance, the user with the nickname “istavridi” says:
“Great interface design, super easy to use, and great functionality. I don’t normally write reviews, but I loved it so much, I just had to this time!”
You may find more feedback on WordPress.org if you feel such a need.
Contact Form Builder by Kali Forms
Contact Form builder created by Kali Forms offers options for unlimited fields (text, name, e-mail, text area, etc.), drag-n-drop field reordering, tooltips, validation rules, embedded animations, and visual styles. The form entries are automatically saved and can be exported to a CSV file. Custom CSS and multiple layout options mean you can customize your forms to suit your site.
This Contact Form Builder is a lightweight and minimalistic solution, which provides rather basic functionality. The developers guarantee that you will not face performance issues caused by the overload with plugins when using it.
Kali Forms provide two templates for building forms: standard contact form and employee information form (specifically for the employee onboarding process). All forms are adaptive and look great on mobile, tablet, and desktop devices.
Also, Kali Forms are integrated with advanced spam protection, for example, Google’s powerful reCAPTCHA and spam honeypot system, and include tracking options.
The Pro version gives 13 more templates, such as appointment form, customer feedback form, running calculator form, etc. The basic plan starts from $29, and with it, you get conditional logic, PayPal, MailChimp, HubSpot, and other integrations.
Pros and Cons
- Minimalistic and lightweight
- Effective anti-spam protection
- Supports custom CSS
- The free version has somewhat limited functionality
- Users face issues when installing
The plugin has more than 30K installations with about 50 five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.8 stars. According to the users, it is “a great alternative to those other pricy plugins,” they also highlight the excellent flexibility and good customer support. One user claimed that it doesn’t work. More reviews are available on WordPress.org.
Simply put: Put: weForms, developed by the company with the same name, is more than just a contact form plugin. It is a fast and straightforward form builder that allows you to create all types of forms for personal and business purposes.
WeForms is designed for the average user, so those who don’t have coding skills or technical knowledge will easily handle this plugin. The minimalist design comes with an intuitive interface that makes weForms extremely user-friendly. In addition, the preview function greatly extends the built-in drag-n-drop function. You can check in real-time what your form will look like after publishing.
With pre-installed ready-made weForms templates and the development of specific forms, you can start with just a few clicks. Also, you can use CSS code to customize your form design easily. The freedom to create standard forms for your sites and business is all yours. It also looks great on any theme.
Keep your posts organic and spammer-free using the reCAPTCHA function. Adapt smartly and efficiently to your user’s behavior using conditional logic, or use the multi-step function to create long segmented forms that are user-friendly.
The price for weForms basic plan starts at $39.
Pros and Cons
- More than 30 types of form fields to choose from
- Pre-designed and highly customizable templates
- Possibility to set expiry time for the forms
- AJAX one-page submission
- Outdated and inconvenient UI\UX
- Lacks some useful third-party integrations
The plugin has more than 30K installations with about 90 five-star reviews and an average rating of 4.6 stars. The users state that it is a perfect and easy plugin; some claim that it is great but lacks one vital feature (still, isn’t mentioned), others highlight the decent customer support. More reviews are available on WordPress.org.
The Bottom Line
In the above list, we provided a wide range of form builders suitable for different scenarios. Thus, you will be able to find a free WordPress form plugin that fits your needs. So if you don’t have one, add the form to your website today to begin receiving feedback from your visitors!
Do you use any of these contact form plugins on your website? We would like to hear about your experience, so share the comments below.